- Comes with a granite table that gives the tool more stability and will not warp
- Measures 23.5 inches by 24 inches by 19 inches
- Weighs just 79 pounds
- Comes with a two-year warranty that covers all parts
- Features both an outfeed table and an infeed table that fold down for easy storage
- Built-in roller bar grabs and pulls the boards across the planer
- Includes a cast-iron frame that keeps the tool from wobbling
- Its 15 amp motor makes more than 18,000 cuts every minute
- Can cut through 26 feet of wood in 60 seconds
- Works with replacement blades available from the manufacturer
- The height adjustment knob makes it easy to change both the height and width of the wood tool to accommodate boards of up to six-feet thick and up to 12.5-inches wide.
- A depth plane adjustment feature lets you change the amount that you remove from each board up to 3/32 of an inch.
- With a dust collection port that you gets an assist from a fan, you’ll never again worry about wood dust clogging the motor or interfering with your vision when using the planer.
- A cast-iron frame adds more structure to the plane and reduces vibrations produced by the motor to keep the tool flat on the floor.
- Handles on each side mimic the shape of the human hand to reduce fatigue and discomfort as you carry and move the tool.
- Drilled holes on the base of the planer act as mounting holes and allow to temporarily mount it onto the floor.
- Rubber adjustment handles make it easy to change and adjust the blade on the planer, even if your hands are a little slick.
- A tri-roller system built inside this tool lets you cut and plane boards without experiencing any snipe.
- Its dust hose connection port will work with almost any shop vac or wet/dry vac to suck up debris around your work area.
- It gives you a two-year warranty on the planer that begins as soon as you register it.
- As it does not come with its own stand and WEN doesn’t make a stand for it, you’ll need to make one of your own.
- The height adjustment knob uses cheap plastic, which can break from regular use.
Some people look down on WEN products because the company makes so many affordable tools. If you want to save money on a new planer, this tool is a solid choice. Though it costs a fraction of what other similar tools cost, it provides you with all the power that you need.
One feature that we really like about this one is the rubber grips used on the adjustment knobs. Those grips keep your hands away from any of the metal or electrical components to ensure that you stay safe. You’ll find that you can easily grab and twist one of these knobs to adjust the depth of the cut and make other changes without your wet or slick hands sliding off.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the product has an adjustable design for working with wider and thicker boards. Other tools in this price range can only work with boards of certain sizes, but this one can accommodate boards of up to six-inches thick. You can also use it for planing boards of up to 12.5-inches wide.
One thing you should consider when buying a planer is just how quickly it works. The slower it cuts, the more standing around you will do. The tool has a feed rate of 26 feet per minute and can make more than 18,000 cuts every minute too.
We also love how easily you can transport this tool because we know that some people need to take it to a job site or to other places around their homes. Not only does it weigh just 79 pounds, but the planer also has handles built into the sides for carrying it with two hands. You’ll like that you can fold down the tables before carrying it too.
Though there are various equipment on the market today, one of the excellent is the 6550, which will do everything you need and fit your budget.